Sunday, November 4, 2012

Wikipedia Fun

Yesterday I received an email telling me that my story didn't qualify for the third quarter of the Writers of the Future Contest. This upset me so I took it out on several wikipedia pages. Do you remember when I said I would edit those damned pages? I actually kept my word!

If you notice, the urban fantasy wikipedia page now bears some of my work. In particular, I added the section on Etymology, Hardboiled Urban Fantasy, and edited the Characteristics section; I plan on lengthening the History section and refining the other sections. It isn't perfect, but it is a start towards something more substantial. Hell, I might even start my own wikipedia page!

Ha!

Ha!

That cheered me up. But what does that mean for my work?

I don't know. I'm still upset, but maybe the type of stories I write aren't meant for that contest. In particular, what the previous judge said is that the stories sent should be PG-13 or for a high school audience--since one of their biggest customers is the highschool creative writing classroom. If you've read any of my work, you know this is not what I write.

I'll admit it now. Writing a story in a matter of two weeks was probably not very wise either. If I send in stories in the future (no pun), I will give them an extra month after completion before sending them to whatever quarter is open.

I need to meditate on this further.

***

I just have two more chapters to add to The Sprite before I can revise it and then turn my attention to Ascension. I decided this because I hate leaving that story the way I did.

As for The Quantum of the Past, I feel I can finish what needs to be done for the first volume by the end of this month. It's just very difficult to do with school work and my job. But I will manage.


LC