Sunday, January 27, 2013

Appendix

Not long ago, I was in the middle of reading my digital copy of The Hobbit when I remembered that The Lord of the Rings book 3 has a substantial amount of appendices. This isn't surprising considering the enormous amount of world-building involved to bring Middle-Earth to life. And this is also true of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, whose volumes include heavy appendices. 

It's an idea that I thought would go well with The Quantum of the Past. But since I'm putting it out in three volumes, these appendices will have to reflect the content in each. I am about finished with the appendices for volume one, which include the most basic material about the world I created--its culture(s) and peoples.

The heavier material will be in volume 2. The most difficult of these to complete will be: A map of the region surrounding Lusphera and its municipalities; a simple, though thorough, guide to the language used by one of the cultures there; depictions of family crests; and a glossary. 

The appendices I've done so far are not looking bad. Here is a sample:




Maybe you can catch how it's "extended." That was a joke. It's actually really easy to see.



LC