Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Oh, my ibooks!

A while back I said that I got most of my books through the ibookstore because Apple went to some lengths to give an analog feel to their digital books. But the iOS7 update makes them look like files in my PC. I hate the update overall and the cotton-candy look it gives to everything.

Ughhhhhh!!!!!

Meanwhile, the Kindle app has gone to great lengths to catch up to the old ibookstore library app. So, lately I've been buying books on the Kindle app. What a drag.

And while I mull over that...

***

December is so far more rewarding than November. It's hard to believe that the year ends in a few weeks, especially since I didn't finish what I wanted to finish this year.

I captured all of this sense of failure in a short story, "Moshing." I put it up in the Chasing the Coyote section for all read.

It is the last story I'm ever going to workshop. That's not because I don't appreciate the workshop experience, but because my time in school is over. Saying that makes me feel like a good old lad. The truth is that I was in school for reasons that I don't think too many people will understand.

In the old days, people went to school to become educated. These days, people go to school to get a degree. It honestly doesn't matter if you learned anything at all so long as you have that piece of paper. This isn't so much the case in professions like the medical field (you still have to go to med school and do time in a hospital setting before you're considered a doctor).

But for professions like writing, that piece of paper is a joke! Pick the most admired school of Creative Writing and you will have a pool of graduates falling into a hierarchy: A students; B students; C students. It is assumed that those with excellent grades are the ones who learned the most. What does that mean for writing though?

The romantic in me wants to believe that the most dedicated writers worked harder to earn those A's. But this is not the case. An "A" just says you met certain class and degree requirements. It says nothing about the quality of your stories. This is true for all institutions of higher learning, from the lowest to the greatest.

And so, the real purpose for school (if you're a writer or artist) is to help you meet and interact with others like yourself. It's those wonderful experiences in workshops and readings that are worth the price of the degree.

I will miss those days.


LC