Thursday, December 19, 2013

Proof 2

The proof copy of The Quantum of the Past: A Fantasy arrived in the mail yesterday. I included a picture below, next to an old cell phone for size comparison.




It's a big book, similar to George R. R. Martin's A Dance with Dragons (which is a thick book). They are almost the same thickness.

This is problematic because my novel only has a third of the total page count of A Dance with Dragons! My guess is that Createspace uses paper that is thicker than what they used for Martin's book.

The cover art is darker than the image I sent in--although this is a good thing, since it puts more emphasis on the electrified sword. What bummed me out is that there are formatting errors inside so I have to comb through the physical book, page by page, note errors and then fix them in the file. After that, I get another proof. They're cheap from Createspace, so this is not an issue.

I may also add a photo of myself inside. And redo some of the other things that bugged me, the ones I was willing to put up with. All in all, it will cost more to sell, but I'm not concerned about that at this point. I just need it to look professional (and not like the covers for 90% of the stuff on Createspace).

I liked how the art turned out so much that I asked Ravven to do the cover for Ascension.





LC