Friday, January 17, 2014

The Ides of January...

With the Chinese New Year going on, the airport is a busy place. Mobs of people are literally waiting in long lines to get into other long lines. Often, you have to listen to anger and frustration thrown at you about the long lines, along with the occasional remark about our security measures, and curiosity about the construction going on right now. And yes, we tend to get equally frustrated at the passengers, our staff, and the TSA. Most of us are cordial though. And by the way, the flu season is in full swing. Every time I see a person coming towards me with a mask on their face I wonder how great I'm going to feel in the morning.

Some of my co-workers use gloves for just that reason. Sadly, viral agents like influenza are airborne.

It's great working in the airport.

Contrast that with working in the library. This is a community place, so it is not as quiet as most of us have come to understand libraries to be. I interact with people here as much as I do at the airport. There are no mobs. And when there is anger and frustration, it has more to do with material we ought to have or library fines that patrons feel are mistakes. Or in the afternoon, when the high school lets out, the hordes of kids and tutors or would-be-tutors get angry and frustrated that we don't have enough private study rooms for them to use. We get as frustrated at them, at ourselves, and the universe. And of course, the flu season is in full swing, apparent by the number of young children and adults who are sneezing before they get to my station. Every time I touch a book given to me by a sick patron I wonder how great I'm going to feel in the morning.

Some of my co-workers use hand-sanitizer religiously after each encounter. Unfortunately, there is no nose-sanitizer.

It's great working in the library.

***

Aside from going to sleep at odd hours, I have no real complaint about my two jobs. Many people are struggling to find one. Besides that, I see so many things each time I complete a shift that the experiences are worth the time.

I know what you're thinking; the above paragraphs sound like complaints. They are an exercise in tone. The tone is very bleak and somewhat cynical/sarcastic; the line, "It's great working in the..." hints at sarcasm.

How I wished to portray the events I've observed would be dictated by how I felt about them, which in turn would dictate the tone of the narration. It is a magnificent web of interconnections that the writer can manipulate with word-strategies.

But, of course, you noticed that what I described above is not fiction... The little emotional fictions that are our emotional responses to our day fuel the larger fictions writers produce.

***
I'm currently stuck in the depths of the novel called The Night Circus. I think I have been reading it for months. The chapters are very short so that it feels like I'm reading a great deal per reading period, but in the end it's mostly like ten pages. The story is interesting enough where I don't want to quit (but there is junk, so I don't want to keep reading it for long periods at a time).

Aside from that, I'm settling into a pattern of writing that is working well. And with a new writing instrument, I managed to finish another Wizard story.

Two more to go!



LC