Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Goodreads challenge!

So...tired...eyes...sore...

At the beginning of the year, I thought I would be doing a great deal more work than I ended up doing. That included reading. Every year, Goodreads.com asks if you want to challenge your reading prowess by setting a goal.

I said, yes. I will read 50 books by the end of 2014. I was doing fine thanks to the recent discovery of audiobooks, which makes reading less of a pain on my eyes. But around October-November, I ran into complications with my Josephine (the name "Josephine" represents a type of woman, not an individual named Josephine--I will explain in more detail later). My reading challenge suffered as a result...

Let me tell you something about that, fellow men: A woman's time is never free. It doesn't matter who the woman is or what your relation is to her. Spending time with her, moping about her, being obsessed with her, or just plain talking to her... It is going to COST you...

It was only until the end of November that I tackled the Josephine problem (I'm mostly ignoring her now) and was able to get back into reading. With four weeks to go, I had twelve books left to read. And so, I got to reading...

I'm up to 48 books out of 50. The last two will likely be The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith and The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. I am going to review Galbraith's book later this week when I finish, more than likely Sunday (today is Thursday).

***

Catching up on the reading challenge gave me some breathing time away from my work. Since the start of this year I have been at it nonstop. At least now I'm hungry for it again. Yesterday, I almost spent the whole day revising chapters of Ascension.

The absence has been healthy. Well...now I have an addiction to Pusheen the cat that I fear is incurable. Damn that cute bastard...

Oh, here is what the old version of the cover of Ascension looked like:


Displaying finalproof2.jpg

The artwork is by Ravven. Unfortunately, with the changes in the book, I will have to commission her to do another cover reflecting the changes. :(

LC