Monday, April 27, 2015

Writer Blocked

It has been over 90 days since I've been with a woman...

I don't know how much longer I'm going to last. All the women around me, single, married, available or not, are starting to look really, really good.

The good news is that I've managed to somehow alienate all the women who would be willing to, you know. This past week has been one cold shoulder after another.

***

First, let me say that I do not believe I ever get an ailment called "writer's block." There are legitimate medical reasons for me to stop creating when I want to create, but I do not believe there is a specific ailment that targets me.

Or other writers for that matter. It seems like the silliness of writers. Woe is me! I am stricken by the writer's block...

That's sexier than me saying that I want to do something else. The main reason for not writing is procrastination.

Say it with me: I procrastinate.

My Josephine recently posted an article about such a thing; she likes to wander through the website, thoughtcatalog.com, and read things there that she later shares on Facebook. It was hilarious to read. Maybe you'll find it funny too.

Article link.

Usually, when I can't seem to put down words on digital paper it's because I want to do something else. Oh, you know... get on Facebook. Research something. Read a book. Get laid. etc. etc.

Right now I'm in this situation. My writing slowed in April. One reason is that I want to open up that other Word document and work on another story; since I'm double-dipping this month. Another reason is that the LAX story is becoming more complex, requiring more time to "think" or develop its chapters. When that happens, my writing slows to give my creativity an opportunity to go to work.

Okay, so all of that is my way of excusing it. What I really think is happening is that I'm sad.

I've had to say goodbye to a good number of people I work with, more than I have in recent memory. They're moving on to other things and leaving the positions they have now.

As you can imagine, trying to write something funny when you're sad is difficult. There is also the sadness that comes from being at a point where you're almost done with a story you like.

It's sad because once I'm done, that will be all the time I get with those characters. I won't see them again unless I write another story with them.

I could read my stories over and over again, but that lacks something. A completed story to me is like an old photo album full of images of people I won't ever see again. It's funny. I can re-read a novel I like and feel like the experiences with those characters is new and they're there for me. But my own work is different.

The stories I write are time capsules almost. They tell me about a period during which I worked on the story and did my best to overcome its challenges. Struggling. Struggling.

Ah, I remember that paragraph! I spent weeks writing and re-writing it. And then I took it apart again when revising! Oh, the good times doing that...

***

Well, there's a few days left in April and I will work on the LAX story some more. I won't finish, but I'm going to be writing again. I mean, just look at how much I'm writing here this month.

I'm not blocked. I am blocking myself with sadness. But enough of that...

Sadness bores me. 





LC / LA